S. DOUGLAS HOPKINS, President and Managing Principal of Kestrel Consulting, LLC, has over thirty years of strategic and operational consulting experience. Co-author (with Stephen J. Hopkins) of Crafting Solutions for Troubled Businesses (© Beard Books 2006), Doug’s extensive experience includes a wide variety of consulting and advisory projects as well as numerous interim management assignments focused on reorganizations and divestitures.
Doug’s consulting experience encompasses extensive strategic, operational and financial analysis and evaluation, business and asset sale solicitations and negotiations, contract and restructuring negotiations, business valuation reviews as well as planning, and managing restructuring and asset recovery operations.
Business sector experience includes manufacturing, distribution, financial and professional services, consumer products, telecommunications, printing and publishing, retail and transportation. Major assignments have included:
- Developing, documenting and aiding in the implementation of numerous turnaround business plans in multiple manufacturing businesses, including automotive parts, architectural glass, refrigeration, transportation and medical equipment, furniture, lumber, paper, and specialty chemical businesses.
- Assuming senior executive and financial control of a NASDAQ listed distributor of video conferencing equipment and negotiating a bridge refinancing facility and a successful merger.
- Documentation of financial forecasts and business valuations in conjunction with numerous sale solicitations and debt restructurings, notably including conducting negotiations and providing court testimony for a contested sale of a $750 million tobacco and sundry distributor operating in Chapter 11.
- Assuming management control of a leading sports card trading company. Responsibilities included resolution of contentious licensing disputes with sports players associations and managing the Chapter XI bankruptcy auction of its assets.
- Acting as Interim CEO for a U.S.-based audio electronics design and distribution firm sourcing production from the Far East. The project included restructuring operations to reduce fixed overhead by 50% prior to effecting its sale to a strategic buyer.
- Managing the London-based forced foreclosure and disposition of a large fleet of Greek oil, chemical and food product tankers.
- Preparing competitive and operational analysis and restructuring plans for multiple general, home hardware and grocery retail chains. Planning and implementation of a variety of inventory asset sales and liquidations.
In the last 12 years, Doug has played a key role in negotiating and consummating the sale of 18 under performing businesses and negotiating forbearance agreements, debt re-financing or restructuring transactions for 41 others.
Prior to establishing Kestrel, Doug had a long affiliation with Nightingale Associates where he was a principal from 1994 through 2003. In addition to his extensive management and consulting experience, Doug spent several years in Hollywood where he developed film and television projects as Director of Development for a theatrical and telefilm production company on behalf of such major distributors as MGM/UA, Universal Pictures, Atlantic Pictures, HBO, Turner Network Television, and CBS Television. Doug holds a B.A. from the University of South Florida and a Masters Degree from the University of Southern California Film School.